Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 11.13.17

Lina Sosa came upon Pinta trying to give birth to a foal on August 25, 2015. Lina thought the birth was breach and because Pinta was one of the horses that had been fed and cared for by Lina since she was just a filly herself, she trusted Lina to help her. After working a long while, Lina managed to turn the foal around.

She named the beautiful little grey and white pinto filly Freedom.
Freedom was the first foal born at the preserve. She and her Mom, and her older brother Stevie (brown paint) were thriving.

On August 15, 2016 Lina and Karen Tyler found Freedom badly wounded.
Lina tried for a day to treat her wounds at the preserve, but knew she needed veterinarian help. The Tyler’s urged Lina to move her and Mom to their house. They constructed a small holding pen with panels inside their larger corral, and Dr. MacDougall was called for veterinary care. Karen and Lina cleaned her wounds and waited.

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.37.01 PM.png

Dr. MacDougall from Los Lunas Animal clinic, is the only vet who will work with the wild ones, and he’d helped the Placitas Wild horses in the past. Freedom was running a 103 fever and given massive doses of antibiotics. The doc cleaned her wounds and put 17 staples in her face to close the gash in it.

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.37.30 PM.png

Freedom had no broken bones, but her right shoulder looked bad. In addition, both knees were swollen.

Her hip wounds were treated and her leg cuts bound. She got long-lasting antibiotic shots. She was placed on medication to be administered 4 times a day. For several days Lina and Karen treated her wounds and administered her medication around the clock.


Lina detected a bad odor from her leg wound.
She carefully inspected the lower leg and found a deep puncture wound that was missed on the initial exam. The puncture wound was infected. Freedom was in danger of losing her hoof and having to be put down. Dr. MacDougall told Lina and Karen it was unlikely that a domestic horse could recover from a wound like this. It would take months for a new hoof to grow back, and only if conditions were favorable. It meant daily foot and hoof baths, treatment with antibiotic soap, and wraps so the wound would remain clean and dry.

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.38.23 PM.png

If the infection spread Freedom would have to be put down.
Lina and Karen bathed the foot and hoof daily and re-wrapped it, while Freedom’s other wounds healed. It didn’t look good for the first few weeks.

Finally, in early August Freedom was gradually putting more and more weight on her injured hoof. By mid-September she was standing comfortably, running and bucking in her enlarged corral. The treatment and cleansing routine had paid off.


By September 21, it looked as though new hoof tissue had developed and she was outgrowing the tiny boot used to protect the wound under the wrappings. Freedom actually needed her hoof trimmed.

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.49.02 PM.png

No more boot.
No more antibiotics.
No more daily bathing and wrapping.
Freedom is well on her way to recovery and should be returned to the preserve in another month.

Only the vet bills linger …